Default security functions on an IPv6 CPE

Dan Wing dwing at cisco.com
Fri Jun 3 17:16:25 CEST 2011

By "application level protocol interpreters", I think you are referring
to ALG, which inspect and modify (SIP) signaling traffic.  For SIP
there are two ways to avoid ALG:  use a Session Border Controller (SBC)
all of which include a feature commonly called 'latching' (*) which
eliminates the need for any ALG, or use ICE (RFC5245) on the
endpoints.  As both eliminate the need for ALG, the SIP signaling
can be encrypted with TLS or DTLS.  Skype signaling (and media) is
encrypted, as everyone knows, so it is demonstrably possible to
build a system of components that do NAT traversal with encrypted
signaling and without cooperation by the NAT - a philosophy shared
by SBCs and ICE.

Why does that matter for IPv6?  SBCs are a likely path forward for
migrating SIP from IPv4 to IPv6, and ICE is the IETF's documented
path forward for migrating SIP from IPv4 to IPv6 (**).

(*) http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mmusic-media-path-middleboxes-03#section-5.1
(*) http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6157

-d