Identifiers in the data stream [Re: Default security functions on an IPv6 CPE]

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 00:25:34 CEST 2011

On 2011-06-03 05:39, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> Den 2. juni 2011 16:29 skrev Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> følgende:
>> Anyway, it's a good thing that we've learned from this mistake and aren't
>> designing any more protocols or protocol extensions which encode endpoint
>> identifiers inside the data stream.
>
> Who is “we” here? For sure, BitTorrent, Skype, and lots of different
> gaming protocols do this, and are in wide use. After all, how else
> would you initiate peer-to-peer communication?

Yes. This is a major wart on the Internet and will get significantly worse
now that we are deploying a second address family (therefore, it's almost an
ipv6-ops issue).

Over in another universe, there's
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-carpenter-referral-ps
but it has proved very hard to persuade the IETF that this
is a serious problem.

   Brian