What is going on in Australia?

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Mon Jan 31 05:36:24 CET 2011

> I will tell you what could very well happen:
>
> The return of 1980's "walled gardens" where a provider uses the entire
> 32-bit v4 space and continues operating using v4.  Want to provide
> service to a user in that "garden"?  Fine, you will need to get an
> allocation from their v4 space and probably tunnel that over v6 to
your
> operation.

And this will most likely happen in the context of countries, not ISPs.

Some country will decide to use the entire v4 address space.  If you
want to provide service to that country's population you get an
allocation from "that country's" IP space.  If for some reason that
country decides they don't like you anymore, they simply black hole your
allocated address space.  In fact, all foreigners could be placed in a
block where it can be "black-holed" very easily.