Linux IPv6 router table size.

Sun Jan 16 01:09:48 CET 2011

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 22:23, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net> wrote:

>  Keep in mind that in both Linux and FreeBSD (FreeBSD having the same
> problem) that the formula that calculates the max route size isn't
> assuming the system is going to be used as a BGP router.

Intended purpose of any given system notwithstanding, if I put 4097
routes into my FIB, I expect 4097 routes to end up in my FIB. How or
why they are put in there is of no concern to the anyone. This view is
supported by the fact that there is no such limit for IPv4 routes.
Also, please note that I either need to start a daemon with root
privileges or root to inject routes manually. It's not as if this
could be abused as a local DoS exploit.

Long story short, Jan, please report it to netdev at . I am sure this is
an oversight and not by design. If they disagree, and I don't expect
that they will, I will happily argue in your favor over there :)

Richard