Using an *external* DHCPv6 server for prefix-delegation in conjunction with PPPoE

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Fri Jan 14 15:49:55 CET 2011

Per Carlson <pelle at hemmop.com> writes:

> After playing a bit more, I can answer my questions my self.
>
>>> If you create a loopback interface with an PD address and use that as
>>> unnumbered addresson the WAN interface, does that work?
>>
>> Yes, at least on a 1841 running 15.1(3)T [0].
>
> It's even better: You can directly assign a PD address on the WAN interface:

Really? rfc3633 says

   Upon the receipt of a valid Reply message, for each IA_PD the
   requesting router assigns a subnet from each of the delegated
   prefixes to each of the links to which the associated interfaces are
   attached, with the following exception: the requesting router MUST
   NOT assign any delegated prefixes or subnets from the delegated
   prefix(es) to the link through which it received the DHCP message
   from the delegating router.

Bjørn