Using an *external* DHCPv6 server for prefix-delegation in conjunction with PPPoE

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Jan 14 16:10:36 CET 2011

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011, Per Carlson wrote:

> I don't really see how this would improve anything. What's the point on
> assigning an IPv6 address on the WAN interface the BNG (PE) doesn't know
> about? And informing it by running SLAAC "backwards" (CPE assigns
> addresses to BNG) seams rather wierd... Risking the CPE sending a
> default route towards the BNG is even worse!

What? Why on earth would the CPE assign addresses to BNG (I don't know
what BNG is, but I guess it's the ISP PE). The WAN link should be link
local only and if there should be an IP address on WAN, it should be a
/128 from the PD space.

The customer should never be able to source traffic from anything outside
his/her PD, and the ISP core/access equipment should never have an IP in
the PD space.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se