IPv6-capable 10G switches

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jan 12 18:31:05 CET 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 06:22:18PM +0100, Tore Anderson wrote:
> * Eugen Leitl
>
> > Speaking about switches, I'm considering buying a couple of
> > EX3200-48T Juniper EX 3200 48 Port (with 8x PoE or no PoE,
> > if available) and the quote I've got from our hoster is a bit
> > out of this world (almost 4 kEUR).
>
> Beware if you want to use IPv6 layer 3 functionality (OSPFv3) on Juniper
> EX switches.  You'll need the EX-48-AFL license which lists at US$6000,
> which is amazingly extortionate considering that the switch hardware
> plus the JUNOS base licence (which includes OSPFv2) lists at US$5400.

Thanks for the warning, that is indeed a rip-off. Also, way out of
budget that I have.

Assuming I only need marginal IPv6 layer 3 functionality (i.e. in
software, not ASIC, no need for high-performance there),
what would be the next-best and affordable (about 3 kEUR) equivalent
from HP or someone else? Ability to be able to plug in 1-2 10 GBit/s
SFP+ MMF transceiver would be nice, but in a pinch I'd settle for
4x SFP MMF (1 GBit).