IPv6-capable 10G switches

Tore Anderson tore.anderson at redpill-linpro.com
Wed Jan 12 18:22:18 CET 2011

* Eugen Leitl

> Speaking about switches, I'm considering buying a couple of
> EX3200-48T Juniper EX 3200 48 Port (with 8x PoE or no PoE,
> if available) and the quote I've got from our hoster is a bit
> out of this world (almost 4 kEUR).

Beware if you want to use IPv6 layer 3 functionality (OSPFv3) on Juniper
EX switches.  You'll need the EX-48-AFL license which lists at US$6000,
which is amazingly extortionate considering that the switch hardware
plus the JUNOS base licence (which includes OSPFv2) lists at US$5400.

If I only had a penny for every time I've bitched about this...

BTW only the DC models of the EX 3200 have no PoE.  However you can
easily disable it in the configuration file.

Best regards,
--
Tore Anderson
Redpill Linpro AS - http://www.redpill-linpro.com/