IPv6-capable 10G switches

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Wed Jan 12 17:41:35 CET 2011

> Have a look to Extreme Network X480 Series...
>
> They are really good stuff... but you will get only 6 XFP + 10
> 10/100/1000.
>
> Features are good, really good... Price is not too high, IPv6 are 100%
> OK, just avoid full ipv4 + ipv6 views until june (according to them)
in
> BGP.
>
> I really love their new switches (older model around 2000 was not a
> good idea, they changed almost everything)...
>
> Xavier

We are using mostly Brocade (FCX for rack switches and XMR/MLX for
core/Internet peering) and have had pretty good results so far.  The
TurboIron is a 1U 24port 10G switch, is reasonably priced, has a good
layer 2 feature set, and does v6 layer 3.  The only reason we aren't
using them instead of the Arista switches in our network is because they
won't do MCT (multichassis trunking) which Arista does (mLAG) and we
don't need v6 layer 3 at that point in the network. The features the
TurboIron has are very useful (topology groups, vlan groups, and Metro
Ring Protocol (MRP) which I use even in the data center in places where
I have deployed them).

If you don't need that feature, the TurboIron is a pretty good switch:

http://www.brocade.com/products/all/switches/product-details/turboiron-2
4x-switch/index.page

The data sheet is here:

http://www.brocade.com/forms/getFile?p=documents/data_sheets/product_dat
a_sheets/TurboIron24X_DS_03.pdf

You will need the IPV6 PROM and the Full layer3 routing option according
to the configuration guide:

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/product_manuals/B_TurboIron/F
astIron_TurboIron_04200_ConfigGuide.pdf

(See Note regarding IPv6 feature support on page 1).  This gives you
OSPFv3, RIPng and v6 over v4 tunnels.