Greenfield IPv4 + IPv6 broadband deployment

Martin Millnert martin at millnert.se
Sun Feb 27 06:16:49 CET 2011

Hi Adam,

On Sun, 2011-02-27 at 00:23 +0000, Adam Armstrong wrote:
> My primary issue at the moment is that I can't see a clean way to manage
> 100K static v6 prefixes via DHCP.

100k rows in PostgreSQL is not a problem.
n*100k rows in your DHCP-server's config shouldn't be a big problem
either, for n < 100 or so.  If your DHCP server can't do this, look for
another one (or replace the Pentium). :)

> It's possible I'm missing something obvious, but it doesn't seem to be
> coming to me no matter how hard I look.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4649 , I believe.

It becomes simple:
 1) Connect each customer to a RFC4649 capable interface,
 2) Relay DHCP to a backend DHCP-server (or several), adding the device
and port ID to the packet,
 3) Take care of mappings in the backend DHCPv6 server(s).

It's either that, or just doing DHCPv6 serving directly from the device
the customers connect to, and take care of mappings there.

> > Consider how you're going to handle the inevitable abuse complaints your
> > going to receive (SPAM and Copyright violations), and how you're going
> > to identify which customer triggered the complaint.
> Argh :)

See above.  Static mapping of customer interfaces (we opted to have the
customer interface receive a new mapping if a person moves out and
another one moves in) to prefixes is the only sane way to do this.  Do
not attempt to look up customers by the interface-identifier of the
address.  Do attempt to look up customers by the network prefix part of
the address.

Regards,
Martin