Greenfield IPv4 + IPv6 broadband deployment

Adam Armstrong lists at memetic.org
Sun Feb 27 01:27:18 CET 2011

On 26/02/2011 23:30, Martin Millnert wrote:
> A full mesh iBGP with so many devices requires very clever configuration
> management, and has inherent scaling problems.
> Things you could do to avoid the scaling problems, I guess includes
> "hacks" such as confederation (each cross-connect room could in theory
> be its own private ASN then, peering with other cross-connect rooms
> and/or core - interesting idea actually), or use route-reflectors (Not a
> very attractive idea IMO).
Route-reflectors are the correct way to do this.

I would use route-reflectors with only a handful of devices. Think using
something with a very fast control-plane like an ASR RP-2 to handle your
100 BGP sessions, where as soemthing like a SUP720 only has two sessions
to look after, instead of 99.

adam.