Greenfield IPv4 + IPv6 broadband deployment

Adam Armstrong lists at memetic.org
Sat Feb 26 19:07:27 CET 2011

Hi All,

I'm currently in the planning stages of a large scale broadband
deployment, with the hopes of doing sane dual-stacked v4/v6 to every
subscriber from day one.

I know the CPE issue has been talked about to death, and I'm pretty
unhappy with the situation there at the moment, but for the time being
I'm assuming CPE are not an issue.

All transport is ethernet, with subs being dragged back to a small
number of central gateways. I'm looking at a mix of DHCP and DHCPv6-PD
to distribute addresses. PPP isn't an option.

Is anyone else running a similar setup? Are there any recommendations on
how to handle customers with static assignments?

Is it better to try to give every subscriber a static v6 assignment, to
reduce issues with internal addressing?

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to manage many static v6
assignments in a DHCP environment?

As I'm not dropping a v6 deployment on top of an existing v4 deployment,
I'd like to make sure I've done it right for both.

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding 1:1 or 1:N VLAN models?

Thanks in advance,
adam.