Dual stack hotspot/captive portal

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Feb 24 22:57:35 CET 2011

On 24 Feb 2011, at 19:31, Darren Pilgrim wrote:

>>> That's a problem inherent with captive portals in general.
>>
>> The thing is that it's much worse with IPv6 privacy extensions. And they
>> are enabled by default on Windows...
>
> The change rate is on the order of days.  The impact is pretty small given the application.

The default preferred lifetime is 1 day, with valid lifetime 7 days.

I think the minimum you can set preferred lifetime to is about 10 minutes, so you could use up to 150 different IPv6 addresses a day as privacy source addresses in Windows 7, if you didn't sleep :)

And that's on top of the static global address that the host would usually be reached by.

Tim