Dual stack hotspot/captive portal

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Thu Feb 24 15:43:18 CET 2011

On 24/02/11 03:20 +0100, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>On Wed, 23 Feb 2011, Dan White wrote:
>
>>I think the cat is out of the bag on DHCPv6. Unless you have
>>control over the client systems (like in an enterprise network), I
>>think DHCPv6 is going to be a far more frustrating path as a
>>solution than other options.
>
>Why?
>
>You tell people that either they need to get DHCPv6 support or they
>don't get any IPv6 at all. I'd say DHCPv6 is either default on or
>easily installable on 90+% of systems with proper IPv6 support today.
>
>All Windows(on default)/OSX/Linux systems are easily fixed or have it
>already working. The only ones I can think of that will be a problem
>are iOS/Android devices, I have no idea about the state of DHCPv6
>support there, but I don't see how they can avoid to support it long
>term.
>
>DHCPv6 is basically a must in any security minded network (otherwise
>you have to do /64 single broadcast domain per user). All clients
>will have to support it eventually to work properly.

I suppose it depends a great deal on your environment, and the users
you're serving.

I liken this to PPPOE support in broadband environments. Some providers
(like us) chose not to use it 10 years ago because at the time it required
special software to run directly on the computer.

It could be viewed as 'a must in any security minded network', but that's
not really true... although that reasoning was probably used to justify it's
deployment in many cases.

So back to the original discussion... Is a dhcpv6 client available on all
systems or easily installed by all users on your network? Are your users
going to know how to download, install and configure it without calling a
help desk?

I liken SLAAC to DHCPv4. It just works. I'd rather fit the solution around
the customer base than conform the customer base around the solution.

--
Dan White