ipv6 next-hop link-local

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Sat Feb 19 11:07:22 CET 2011

Hi,

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 08:31:29PM +1030, Mark Smith wrote:
> > Our operational problems come from networks that only have eBGP
> > speakers - namely, exchange point meshes - and link-local next-hops
> > have no reason for existance there.  No RIPng, no ICMP redirects.
>
> I think they can have a place there. If your exchange point eBGP
> routers "next-hop self" when they distribute routes into iBGP, then the
> eBGP next hops are only visible to the eBGP router. Using link locals
> (static link locals if you like) for that can provide the benefit of
> making you eBGP relationships independent of the global addressing that
> is being used on the exchange point mesh.

Of course one could run an exchange point on link-local addresess - but
I have not ever seen one yet, and I do not think that the operational
difficulties will outweigh the benefits.  (Which benefits, exactly?
Exchange points usually renumber their fabric when they run out of
available addresses for participant routers - which won't happen
which IPv6).

Is *anyone* running eBGP on link-locals?

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
did you enable IPv6 on something today...?

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279