Acceptable prefix sizes for Windows Vista/7

Erik Kline ek at google.com
Wed Feb 16 06:27:15 CET 2011

> Does Windows possibly have a requirement that the advertised prefix only be a /64 in order for SLAAC to work?

I would think that this would be the expected behaviour actually.  I
would be surprised if other operating systems didn't behave similarly
for Ethernet interfaces.

I see that http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4862#section-5.5.3 says you
can do math (128 -n), but it looks like this paragraph may be trumping
things, since EUI-64s are, well, 64bits:

    If the sum of the prefix length and interface identifier length
does not equal 128 bits, the Prefix Information option MUST be
ignored.