ipv6 next-hop link-local

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Tue Feb 15 22:39:06 CET 2011

On 2/15/2011 3:22 PM, Daniel Roesen wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:15:21PM +0100, Andrew Yourtchenko wrote:
>> if you are to configure the addresses manually anyway - you could
>> manually configure the link-locals (too|instead) ?
>
> Why should I use link-locals then at all? :)
>
> Static routes also cross administrative boundaries. You don't want to
> rely on your remote party to nail their LLs too, do you? :-)

I personally think it's a screwed up mess. Case in point,

ISIS - LL address
EBGP (juniper to Level3) - uses global for next hop
IBGP (juniper) - shows Source as the loopback, sets next-hop to LL
(resolved next-hop)
EBGP (cisco to HE) - uses LL across tunnel to HE
IBGP (cisco) - shows the loopback as the next hop (doesn't resolve the
next-hop)

Jack