ipv6 next-hop link-local

Andrew Yourtchenko ayourtch at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 22:15:21 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:02 PM, Daniel Roesen <dr at cluenet.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 09:35:33PM +0100, Roger Wiklund wrote:
>> Are you making any efforts to keeping it consistent? I.E specifying
>> interface and link-local as next-hop even for static routes?
>
> That would be quite bad practise as the link-local address is
> "volatile". Dynamic routing protocols using LL next-hops aren't a
> problem as the next-hops are dynamically "computed", but you don't want
> to change your static routes because you e.g. changed interace (thus MAC
> address on Ethernet) on the device the next-hop resides on.

But you can pin down these into the config:

conf t
interface Ethernet0/0
 no ip address
 ipv6 address FE80::FEED:BABE link-local

which gives:

r101#sh ipv6 int
Ethernet0/0 is up, line protocol is up
  IPv6 is enabled, link-local address is FE80::FEED:BABE
  No Virtual link-local address(es):

if you are to configure the addresses manually anyway - you could
manually configure the link-locals (too|instead) ?

cheers,
andrew