Comcast Activates First Users With IPv6 Native Dual Stack Over DOCSIS

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Wed Feb 2 21:10:40 CET 2011

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 08:53:24 -0500
Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2011, at 8:43 AM, Mark Smith wrote:
>
> >> I support and applaud the efforts that John is undertaking at Comcast.  While he may decide that a /64 is suitable for his customer base, as they commonly have a single lan.
> >
> > That's all their customers will ever be able to have if the customer
> > only ever gets a single /64.
>
> So you don't think that a network will *ever* upgrade/alter it's technology deployment.  I hope you realize that the networks are constantly evolving and being upgraded.
>
> We've had to do many upgrades since our DS rollout in 2003 to solve problems.  Perhaps you have never had a router crash due to an IPv6 bug.  (I know I have.. and this week too).
>
> This limited view of how operator networks work is problematic as it commonly happens in the community.  I don't know how much effort it is for John to isolate the exact CMTS that a user is on, but across the many users there are and getting it all upgraded is likely a much larger task than you or I can envision/imagine.
>
> Instead of tearing down the choices Comcast makes, provide some constructive ideas of how it should be improved.  If your goal is DHCP-PD, then point to CM's that work well with that.

Well there's the thing. If it is one /64 per customer, not one /64
shared between all customers (via SLAAC on a single bridged segment),
that starts to suggest DHCPv6-PD might be in use.

>  He may be stuck with something closer to a bridged environment that
  may not be easy to change, etc..  I honestly have no clue and can
  speculate with the best of them.

That's exactly why I asked.