Comcast Activates First Users With IPv6 Native Dual Stack Over DOCSIS

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Feb 2 14:44:12 CET 2011

On Feb 2, 2011, at 8:23 AM, Bernd Walter wrote:

> It is counterproductive to speak about 2^64 addresses delivered with a
> single /64 when we all know that all of the device classes with such a
> density require LAN isolations, which is simply not possible with such
> an allocation.

You mean some people envision things being isolated in /64 lans.  I understand why people have that vision, this does not mean I agree with their view.

But for the purposes of a "first test user" with DS, honestly I don't see how your architecture arguments are relevant to the operation of some 3rd party network.

Bring IPv6 to the consumer market is a huge task.  People have lived for years with NAT and other mind-bending technologies.  IPv6 represents the ability to get rid of some unnecessary NAT, I certainly agree.  I will be glad when I don't have to worry about these items myself and things can "just work".

But just because you disagree with John and his first DS user setup does not preclude him or any other network from doing things differently.  I find the feedback useful to review, as with many conversations on all the lists that I consume.

If you think what John is doing is a net-negative, I suggest providing that feedback to him directly.  I've found him very approachable myself when asking about what his plans are.  I don't like how long it takes, but then again, I understand large companies.

- Jared