Comcast Activates First Users With IPv6 Native Dual Stack Over DOCSIS

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Feb 2 13:47:38 CET 2011

On Feb 2, 2011, at 7:33 AM, Mark Smith wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 07:05:58 -0500
> Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 2, 2011, at 3:41 AM, Mark Smith wrote:

>>> Why a single /64? You certainly won't be only getting just a /32, and
>>> I'm sure you've got way less than 4 billion customers. A /60 would have
>>> been a conservative option if you wanted to dip your toe in the water,
>>> yet still would allowing people to use subnets in their home if they
>>> wanted to perform some of their own experiments - your trial
>>> participants are more likely to have a few routers in their home that
>>> they may want to use to experiment with IPv6 and IPv6 routing.
>>
>> This is comcasts experiment, not the end-user.  If the end-user wants to experiment, they can go find access via some other provider (eg: tunnelbroker, etc).
>>

> So you work for Comcast?

Nope.

I work for another corporate beast.  While I may take the consideration of my customers into account when doing my own beta/product launches, I certainly do not let them drive the agenda.

I support and applaud the efforts that John is undertaking at Comcast.  While he may decide that a /64 is suitable for his customer base, as they commonly have a single lan.  Going from a single IP to 2^64 available is a significant step forward.

While the more tech savvy of us is clearly part of the target tests for this IPv6 service, there is also a need to test customers that are not as enlightened by the various *NOG and IETF lists.  They are important.

I'm more worried that the current threshold for 'acceptable broken ipv6' is set at 0.01% by some major players for a global enabling of their websites for returning AAAA + A records.  I want to get the broken network elements fixed.  If you see any in the NTT network, please let me know as I want to solve it.

- Jared