yum IPv6 repos

Bill Owens owens at nysernet.org
Tue Dec 27 17:06:45 CET 2011

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 01:32:28PM -1000, Antonio Querubin wrote:
> I thought I'd try to setup an IPv6 only network this weekend and noticed
> many/most yum repos and mirrors are not IPv6-enabled.  Just wondering what
> are folks who are trying to wean themselves off of IPv4 doing nowadays to
> handle upgrades/patches if you have only IPv6 connectivity?

FWIW, we've been maintaining a v6-only Ubuntu desktop machine for a few months and most things work fine - v6-accessible mirrors, system tools all work, etc. However, there's some interaction with the Canonical mothership related to release jumps - 11.04 to 11.10, for example - and that does *not* work. The machine appears incapable of realizing that there's a new version available.

I don't know whether any of the distros you're using have a similar mechanism, but if so, you may have to enable v4 every now and again in order to get things to work normally.

Bill.