yum IPv6 repos

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 02:43:57 CET 2011

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Tom Hill <tom at ninjabadger.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-12-26 at 15:58 -0800, Cameron Byrne wrote:
>> Yum as in Fedora?  Have you looked at http://mirror.uoregon.edu/
>>
>> mirror.uoregon.edu has address 128.223.157.9
>> mirror.uoregon.edu has IPv6 address 2001:468:d01:103::80df:9d09
>
> Also, for those not in the states:
>
> $ host mirror.bytemark.co.uk
> mirror.bytemark.co.uk has address 212.110.161.69
> mirror.bytemark.co.uk has IPv6 address 2001:41c8:20:5e6::10
>
>> And if all else fails, you can setup a NAT64/DNS64 gateway for your
>> ipv6-only hosts
>
> Eee.. Please don't.
>
> I realise that it's an exercise in "IPv6-only", but adding address
> translation would be clouding the reality that surrounds the
> currently-available Internet access via IPv6.

If you are concerned about it being cloudy, i am sure you can figure
it the relative native vs translated traffic pretty easy.

> NAT64 would defeat the point of the exercise entirely.

I guess that's for the OP to decide what the purpose of his exercise
is...but he did sound like he was on that path to NAT64/DNS64

The OP said IPv6-only.  And, i assume he wants it to be functional for
something and perhaps approaching production quality (we are beyond
the science experiment phase i hope).  That said, NAT64/DNS64 is what
that solution looks like.  And, NAT64/DNS64 has become quite common in
shops that are serious about IPv6 and having a strategic answer to the
business challenge of IPv4 exhaustion and multi-protocol complexity
(YMMV).

http://www.slideshare.net/IPv6no/20111122-i-pv6forumnorway2singlestackipv6onlydatacenterdeployments

http://www.slideshare.net/IPv6no/cameron-tmo-ipv6-norway-meeting

The fact is, IPv4 is effectively exhausted from the perspective of
planning any large scale strategic initiative. And, the internet will
soon be composed of IPv4-only, IPv6-only, and DS nodes.    I suggest
folks get used to the idea that IPv4-only nodes and IPv6-only nodes
will need to communicate with each other... Like the IPv6-only mobile
phone talking to the "buy-now button" on the IPv4-only e-commerce
site.

cb