IPv6 Source Address Selection on Mac OS X Lion

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Sat Dec 17 02:50:59 CET 2011

On 16. Dec 2011, at 18:13 , Gert Doering wrote:

> Hi,

>>> "consistent behaviour".  And this is where Lion fails, because it
>>> flip-flops back and forth between protocols even if nothing changes
>>> in the network.

You want consistent behaviour?  Do what I do.

>> Isn't this behaviour what Chrome does too?
>>
>> http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome?view=rev&revision=85934
>
> on a network where IPv4 and IPv6 have the same (or close) RTTs, chrome
> will *consistently* pick IPv6.  Not "sometimes IPv6, sometimes IPv4".
>
> Big difference.
>
> The general idea of HE is good.  HE-in-Lion a step backward.

The missing knob to turn it off sucks badly in either however and while I stop
caring myself I am seeing the problem you describe in dual-stacked networks for
others unfortunately and would love to have a switch to flip to get v6 first v4
then back (at least on demand).

Here, there is no IPv4 address anymore usually, a 127.1 on Lion.
The v4 link-local on XP doesn't seem to matter much currently for IE luckily
and on FreeBSD/PC-BSD the no-IPv4 stack does the job as well:)  No decisions to
make for complex algorithms.  Deterministic behaviour.  User really happy.
Debugging is simpler.  Problem solved.  Good night.

/bz

   It does not matter how good you are. It matters what good you do!