IPv6 Source Address Selection on Mac OS X Lion

Christoph Stahl cstahl at netcologne.de
Fri Dec 16 13:23:01 CET 2011

Hi Dick,

because then you cannot find out which admin IP belongs to which admin
when looking at your logs. And then access to the layer 2 would bring
access through firewalls/host.allows. So its security and
operational/"administrational" reason behind this design.

There is one or maybe little more admin-IPv6-addresses per admin: Each
should be configured in the firewall. Of course there is a little
operational overhead but we consider it worth it.

And then: If you want to surf the internet you want such a thing as
privacy extension. So we see the need for having both: static IPs for
administartion of our hardware and private autoconfigured ones for
access everything that is not ours.

@Janos:
What is that apple opensource sourcecode - very interesting find!? Does
it built to a working ip6addrctl tool? Have you tried - has anyone?

Best regards,

Christoph