IPv6 Source Address Selection on Mac OS X Lion

Christoph Stahl cstahl at netcologne.de
Fri Dec 16 09:35:24 CET 2011

> I agree with Christoph: WinXP you can setup source address selection
> rules for using temporary addresses for certain destiantion prefixes.
> In Mac OS X you cannot control that. Therefore WinXP can follow BETTER
> the local administrative policy of address usage.
>
> Happy-Eye-Ball can be good for end user point of view, but a kind of
> nightmare for user support point of view. There is no consistent way
> to determine which IP transport in use - which one to debug. Except if
> there is some knobs in every applications to prefer IPv6 transport or
> IPv4 transport....
>
> Best Regards,
>         Janos Mohacsi
That is exactly my point: it is not about the prefered use of IPv4 vs
IPv6. It is selecting the right source IPv6 address (when there are two:
a static and a dynamic/autogenerated one) for a specified target IPv6
prefix (network). So that our administrative goals can be fulfilled.

And I am searching for a way of  achieving the same on a Mac what can be
done on Linux, Windows (XP!) and probably freeBSD.

Regards,

Christoph