IPv6 Source Address Selection on Mac OS X Lion

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Thu Dec 15 11:19:44 CET 2011

Dear Chirstoph,
 	You achieved the prefer source address selection with tweaking the
RFC 3484 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3484) policy table on Linux and
Windows. According to some tests RFC3484 was implemented in some extent on
Mac OS X Lion, but maybe more the Happy-Eye-Ball
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-happy-eyeballs)  . But seems
to me that RFC3484 policy table setting utility (ip6addrctl) is missing
from Lion. It seems that Lion is using non-temporary autoconfigured
addresses as a source for some destination prefixes, and temporary
autoconfigured addresses as source for some other destination prefixes.
Maybe Lion kernel is deciding on /48 boundary if use or not to use
temporary address - according to some tests done by me - but it is not
documented. Some guess work already done:
http://lists.apple.com/archives/Ipv6-dev/2011/Jul/msg00009.html

Janos Mohacsi
Head of HBONE+ project
Network Engineer, Deputy Director of Network Planning and Projects
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 70EF9882: DEC2 C685 1ED4 C95A 145F  4300 6F64 7B00 70EF 9882