Symantec Endpoint Protection for Windows disables ipv6

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 00:37:23 CEST 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Matthew Huff <mhuff at ox.com> wrote:
> Symantec’s new Endpoint Protection client for enterprises includes a new
> rule based “network threat protection”. One of the default rules blocks all
> ipv6. One of our admins ran an upgrade this weekend on our AD servers and
> since they were still advertising AAAA records for themselves, but dropping
> ipv6 packets, it caused a few problems this morning.
>

> What was Symantec thinking? Lets block all ipv6 since it’s only a nuisance?
> Seriously. Just wanted to let ever know in case someone else run’s into
> this.

This is impressively naive on Symantec's part.

I am sure the good folks that have contracts with Symantec will help
them understand how short sighted they are in this default behavior.

1.  I am Comcast subscriber.

2.  Part of my subscription includes Symantec

http://www.symantec.com/about/news/release/article.jsp?prid=20100120_02

3.  Comcast is rolling out IPv6

http://www.comcast6.net/

Support calls cost money.

Symantec, please update this before it drives A LOT of support calls.

Cameron