Symantec Endpoint Protection for Windows disables ipv6

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Mon Aug 22 21:19:48 CEST 2011

Symantec's new Endpoint Protection client for enterprises includes a new rule based "network threat protection". One of the default rules blocks all ipv6. One of our admins ran an upgrade this weekend on our AD servers and since they were still advertising AAAA records for themselves, but dropping ipv6 packets, it caused a few problems this morning.

What was Symantec thinking? Lets block all ipv6 since it's only a nuisance?  Seriously. Just wanted to let ever know in case someone else run's into this.

----
Matthew Huff             | 1 Manhattanville Rd
Director of Operations   | Purchase, NY 10577
OTA Management LLC       | Phone: 914-460-4039
aim: matthewbhuff        | Fax:   914-460-4139