DHCPv6 still feared and hated at Apple?, was Re: Mac OSX 10.7from Sabrina

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Aug 19 12:36:57 CEST 2011

On 18 Aug 2011, at 21:22, Sabrina Friedman wrote:

>>> right. per RFC... ;-)
>>
>> Since not all DHCPv6 implementation actually listen to the RA I thought I should point it out ;)
>> Sander
>>

> Sorry to come late to this thread, but I did some testing with a
> freshly-installed copy of Lion (clean install, not upgrade).  DHCPv6
> does work as expected as you mention.  I also noticed that
> privacy/temporary SLAAC addresses are enabled by default.  Anyone else
> seeing that?

That is the case.

The recent changes seem to be focused on OS X working well when IPv6-only, and the addition of DHCPv6 for DNS resolver discovery was very welcome in Lion.  I was able to run pretty much the whole recent IETF meeting on the IPv6-only SSID, given my university resources (mail, web etc) are available over IPv6, as are the IETF's and many associated sites, and all that is searchable via Google over v6.   Quite a good way to focus on work actually, though Google+ is available over IPv6.

The same applies to iOS and the iPhone, which also has DHCPv6 support.

Tim