Adding IPv6 to Remote Access VPNs

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Aug 16 12:27:51 CEST 2011

On 15 Aug 2011, at 21:56, Dyonisius Visser wrote:

> We're now happily running Cisco AnyConnect on a little ASA5505, which
> provides IPv4+IPv6 addresses for our (IPv4) users. AFAIK it is not
> possible (yet!) to use IPv6 as transport, but that is only a problem in
> IPv6-only access networks, which at the moment are very rare. In any
> way, my users have not yet found one to connect home from.

We use the Cisco AnyConnect VPN for JANET-run training labs.  When we set up a small lab at a training venue, each device can connect back to the NetLab server to give both IPv4 and IPv6 VPN access to attendees.  Works pretty well after Cisco ironed out a bug or two. No problems at all with it for the last two runnings of the event.   Given the venues we use are invariably IPv4-only, IPv4 transport is fine.

Tim