mail filtering based on reverse DNS

Erik Kline ek at google.com
Thu Aug 11 11:32:40 CEST 2011

On 11 August 2011 18:18, Sander Steffann <sander at steffann.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Certainly I and others have thought of writing our own auto-PTR
>> response generator for delegated reverse zones.  I see now that the
>> success of a PTR-verification scheme depends on ISPs *not* doing this
>> for every J. Random Customer.
>
> The more I think about it, the more I feel that auto-generating PTR records is not a wise thing to do. This is one example, filling the caches of DNS resolvers is another. Would it be a good idea to write a BCP on this subject?

Are you thinking of a recursive resolver DOS attack involving doing
PTR lookup through an auto-generated reverse space?  I.e. the
recursive resolver would overrun it's cache at some point?

I could see this happening, but it seems the right thing to do is to
defend against it by implementing LRU eviction policies,
rate-limiting, and other common mitigation techniques.  It seems such
an attack could be undertaken even today.  (besides, what about the
negative caching for PTRs that aren't there?)

Hmmm....