IPv6 Hackers mailing-list

Fernando Gont fernando at gont.com.ar
Tue Aug 9 14:48:52 CEST 2011

On 08/09/2011 04:15 AM, Andrew Yourtchenko wrote:
> hi Fernando,
>
> curious - why not use this forum ?

Short answer: because e.g. security research don't necessarily care
about ops. The converse may also be true: ops people could certainly
provide valuable input, but they don't necessarily care about all the
discussion process.

It's clear that there will always be an overlap in the subscriber lists
among to lists (e.g., those that care about ops and about the low-level
discussions).. but I don't think that overlap is 100% -- hence de
separate list.

(FWIW, the same could be argued about this list itself. Why don't we
discuss ipv6ops on nanog@? After all, every ops folks I know are
subscribed to nanog@ no matter whether they are in North America or not)

> IMO these topics (and especially any mitigations/workarounds) would
> have a direct operational impact, so the discussions would very much
> benefit of early involvement of the ops folks...

Yes, but it would also benefit from the input of bugtraq-mindset... and
I don't think you could get many of those on an ops list.

Thanks!

Best regards,
--
Fernando Gont