[ipv6-ops] Re: DHCPv6 still feared and hated at Apple?, was Re: Mac OSX 10.7

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 3 01:13:01 CEST 2011

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011, Aaron Hughes wrote:

>>> Since not all DHCPv6 implementation actually listen to the RA I thought I should point it out ;)
>>> Sander
>>>

>> Sorry to come late to this thread, but I did some testing with a
>> freshly-installed copy of Lion (clean install, not upgrade).  DHCPv6
>> does work as expected as you mention.  I also noticed that
>> privacy/temporary SLAAC addresses are enabled by default.  Anyone
>> else seeing that?
>
> [snip]
>
> inet6 2607:fae0:1:1:226:8ff:fede:4ce6 prefixlen 64 autoconf
> inet6 2607:fae0:1:1:5539:d917:8b69:128e prefixlen 64 autoconf temporary
>
> [end]

Thanks for confirming, Aaron.

>> Tonight, I am going to test the behavior when I turn off the
>> autoconfig flag on the prefix announcements.  (I am doing the
>> testing on my home network.)
>>
>> Will look forward to Marc's blog entry when it comes out. :)

When I turned off the prefix autoconfig flags on the RAs from my home
router, the autoconf and temporary addresses quickly disappeared and only
the DHCPv6 address was left.  Default IPv6 route was still correct and
IPv6 connectivity was fine with the new address.

This mimics the behavior of both Windows and Solaris (and is congruent
with my reading of RFC 4862 (esp. section 5.6).

michael