Static vs SLAAC - Static expected to be preferred?

Benedikt Stockebrand me at benedikt-stockebrand.de
Sat Apr 30 12:04:09 CEST 2011

Hi Doug and list,

Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us> writes:

> FYI, FreeBSD 6 is past EOL.

so is Debian Sarge and Solaris 10 ("U0"); it's just that I had those
documented (section 4.4 in some certain book).

One might argue that controls for this sort of feature would be more
prominently placed in the configuration files---and I'd sure expect
that to happen some time soon, with all the attention IPv6 finally
gets---but the controls have been there for quite some time.

To me the point is this: Do we really want to change the specification
at this point in time because the integration didn't make it as nicely
into the boot configuration as we'd wish, or should we rather fix the
boot scripts?  Changing the specs seems to me a step that shouldn't be
taken without some serious need.

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--