Static vs SLAAC - Static expected to be preferred?

Steinar H. Gunderson sesse at google.com
Wed Apr 27 15:38:08 CEST 2011

Den 27. april 2011 15:14 skrev Mark Smith
<nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org> følgende:
> Do you have any comments on your general static address
> expectations?

Well… one thing is expectations, another thing is what would be useful.

In Linux (at least Debian, which I'm used to), it's actually pretty
hard to get servers not to take RA—thus, using static addresses by
default would certainly be useful. It sort of feels like the wrong
knob for the issue, though; I can certainly see situations where I
would wish that a server contact external hosts over a less “official”
address, and always preferring static addresses would seem to make
that impossible.

/* Steinar */
--
Software Engineer, Google Switzerland