IPv6 in the enterprise

Erik Kline ek at google.com
Wed Apr 20 03:28:50 CEST 2011

On 20 April 2011 10:17, Andrew Yourtchenko <ayourtch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists
> <lists at hojmark.org> wrote:
>>> I don't understand what the benefits are of then using a GUA a
>>> default gateway address on the end-nodes is.
>>
>> In practice, pinging a link-local address can be difficult for the end-users.
>>
>> A Windows user, for example, can't just "ping fe80::1" if he has multiple interfaces (most do). >They have to enter something like "ping fe80::1%10" and you won't know in advance which >interface number the end-user has to ping. The same goes for ping6 on a Linux machine, where >you can't just "ping6 fe80::1" but have to do something like "ping6 -I eth2 fe80::1".
>
> What about something like the below impro:
>
> ping6 `ip -6 route | grep default | awk '{ print fe80::1"%"$5; }'`

What if instead %0 meant use the (lowest indexed, in case there's more
than one) interface through which there exists a default route?
Assuming 0 won't be a valid interface ID that might be handy.
Alternatively, "%default" might be a handy syntax.

I know this may seem strange, but I think such a thing may be handy in
the future for support personnel trying to walk someone through
debugging something over the phone.