Consumer CPE with 6to4 turned on by default

MarcoH - lists mch-v6ops at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 18 22:41:01 CEST 2011

> That is true.
>
> I have had no problems with that, it works.
> Only because of static IPs I prefer the sixxs-tunnel.

Not going to open the can of worms labeled 6to4 :)

What I did encounter when I was working at XS4ALL, was that some less tech savvy users considered it a bit too much plug&play. They plugged it in, hit the button that said "IPv6" and walked away. They then go to something like ipv6.google or KAME to watch the dancing turtle and are fine with it, mission succeeded: they've got IPv6.

Only after encountering problems due to a broken relay or simply hitting performance issues they call and you can explain things. It became one of the first things to check when troubleshooting: "does your IP actually starts with 2001:980 or does it say something else ?".

This can also occur when native or any other solution they might pick up with auto-sense fails at the remote end. Imagine having a small interruption on your DHCPv6 system and thousands of clients falling back to 6to4. How do you find them, especially when IPv6 is still not fully deployed, and how do you get those boxes back to your native solution of choice ? I really like the auto sense customer friendly approach, but I personally do like to see it exclude certain options or at least remember native should be available and try to switch back.

Just my 2 cents,

MarcoH
(wearing no other hats than that of a concerned citizen)