IPv6 in the enterprise

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Mon Apr 18 21:10:32 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 12:02:24PM -0400, Mark Kamichoff wrote:
> On Juniper gear we use VRRP, and it works as expected with IPv6.  The
> link-local address has to be hardcoded, [...]
> The only problem with Junos is that it throws a warning for every VRRP
> instance during commit saying that router advertisements are not
> configured.

I'm currently working with our JNPR SEs to get both issues fixed.
Already have some positive feedback for the link-local issue that this
will be fixed.

Unfortunately, for the RA problem, there is RFC5798 which explicitly
states:

6.4.3:
         (630) ++ MUST send ND Router Advertisements for the virtual
         router.

I guess this is where JUNOS' insistence on RAs for VRRP interfaces comes
from. Chapter 8.2.3 also says that the VRRP master must send RAs.

I've tried to poke IETF vrrp WG on that topic, but no reaction yet:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/vrrp/current/msg01447.html
Any other operator chiming in would probably help.

Best regards,
Daniel