IPv6 in the enterprise

Dale W. Carder dwcarder at wisc.edu
Mon Apr 18 17:39:56 CEST 2011

Thus spake Matthew Huff (mhuff at ox.com) on Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 09:43:16AM -0400:

> 1) Is there a the consensus about using First-Hop Redundancy protocols versus RA (HSRP, VRRP, GLBP). I assume the main reason for using them is faster failover and more control (priority, timers, etc..)
>
> 2) For first-hop interfaces on access switches, do people use eui-64 addresses or static? What about HSRP,VRRP,GLBP virtual interfaces. Since these will show up in monitoring systems (OpenView, OpenNMS, etc..) should they be static with reverse dns lookups configured?
>
> 3) If using static addresses what link local addresses are people using? ::FFFF:FFFF:FFFE? Or ::0000:0000:0001 ? or something else?

We are using HSRP with static addressing (for link-local as well).
For the version of code that we are on, we couldn't use a global address
as the HSRP address, but this has not proved to be an issue.  In
addition, it has had the nice side effect of being able to tell everyone
that the router is always fe80::1, regardless of what network you are
on.

Primary router:
 ipv6 address FE80::3 link-local
 ipv6 address 2001:db8:a:100::3/64