6to4 stats found, are there other places?

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Apr 18 13:07:47 CEST 2011

On 18 Apr 2011, at 01:26, Martin Millnert wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-04-17 at 22:59 +0200, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>> The proponents for deprecating 6to4 doesn't want to kill 6to4, just want
>> to have vendors stop enabling it by default.
>
> Mikael, if that is the case, I suggest that they double- or triple-check
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/v6ops/current/msg08240.html before
> any mistakes are made wrt. publishing the draft as-is.

Well, Apple has chosen to not implement various other IPv6 features too, which has been frustrating, e.g. RFC3484, DHCPv6, MLDv2.

It's of course up to Apple what they do implement, so they can choose to ignore the 6to4 IETF outputs.   As a user of Apple products, I would personally prefer them to be a little more advanced in their IPv6 support.   There are some signs of this in Lion.

As a data point, we're an academic site and <2% of our web traffic from outside is IPv6 transport, and of that <1% is successful 6to4.   So loss of 6to4 hits 0.02% of our customers.

Tim