Windows Teredo implementation (Re: 6to4 stats found, are there other places?)

Lutz Preßler Lutz.Pressler at SerNet.DE
Mon Apr 18 09:08:35 CEST 2011

Hello,

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> We need to move beyond 6to4.  Static tunnels work, as does teredo.
that remindes me: Does anybody know why the Microsoft teredo implementation
(tested with Win7SP1 and earlier) sets a hop limit of 21 for the
bubble icmpv6 packet? This leads to destinations not beeing reachable
via teredo if they are too far away from the teredo server.
This was seen when testing teredo - native IPv6 connectivity.
It seems not to be configurable either. Changing the hop limit for
the teredo device has no effect at least.
This value of 21 can be found in some miredo discussions. They changed
it, but why is MS using it?

Lutz