IPv6 Assignment Tracking Software

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Wed Apr 13 01:21:17 CEST 2011

On 4/12/2011 15:58, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 4/12/2011 3:46 PM, Seth Mattinen wrote:
>> Same here. I switched to it away from IPPlan because the author used to
>> have a very anti-IPv6 statement in the FAQ that has since been removed,
>> so I read it as "never gonna happen" at the time. (Something about only
>> large entities wanted IPv6 but they were never willing to send money to
>> support development, etc.)
>
> FWIW, as someone who develops open source software that is sometimes
> used by large companies, I always thought that was a perfectly
> reasonable perspective on the part of the IPPlan author. I certainly
> don't see anything "anti-IPv6" about it.

Here's the old FAQ entry wording; I managed to find it:

A: My time is limited and as I am the only developer actively working on
IPplan, only features that are of use to me or are interesting to code
up will get added quickly. Other requests will probably get added to the
TODO but will receive no attention. One feature request that comes up
from time to time is IPv6. Adding IPv6 support will require major effort
but has such a limited audience. Ironically the only people that ever
requested IPv6 support are either from Telcos, ISP’s or government
departments, yet they are never interested in contributing resources! I
deam them parasites of the Open Source world - leaching off the good
will and effort of the Open Source community, yet give nothing in return.

The entry as currently seen:

A: My time is limited and as I am the only developer actively working on
IPplan, only features that are of use to me or are interesting to code
up will get added quickly. Other requests will probably get added to the
TODO but will receive no attention.

I did not find it encouraging, so I stopped using IPPlan and switched to
another package that did support IPv6. (Nor did I feel welcome to
contribute anything towards IPv6 support after reading that.) Of course,
now there is IPv6 support in the beta version and the FAQ entry was revised.

~Seth