IPv6 Assignment Tracking Software

Paul Timmins paul at timmins.net
Wed Apr 13 01:12:37 CEST 2011

On 04/12/2011 06:58 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
> FWIW, as someone who develops open source software that is sometimes
> used by large companies, I always thought that was a perfectly
> reasonable perspective on the part of the IPPlan author. I certainly
> don't see anything "anti-IPv6" about it.

As someone who uses open source software, large companies often don't
feel like subsidizing a feature that will ultimately be used by everyone
else. There's a hundred different ways the author could have gone about
it (take up a collection with a financial goal, publish a fixed price
that wasn't dependent on the size of the asker) but instead shut out the
very people who have the resources to say "screw it, if I have to pay,
I'm just going to use my own developers for it, and with that attitude,
I'm not submitting patches back".

So it's "anti-companies-large-enough-to-afford-helping" not wanting to
be taken advantage of. I'd be shocked if the price that it would take
didn't depend entirely on the perceived size of the asker's pockets.

-Paul