I-D Action:draft-azinger-scalable-addressing-00.txt

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Wed Sep 29 10:24:26 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 02:12:28PM -0700, Tony Li wrote:
> > Have the practical problems "how do I find the combination of source +
> > destination IP out of a set of N possible sources and M destination
> > addresses that works 'best' for me" (with locally varying metrics for
> > what is 'better' - latency, throughput, price, firewall policies,
> > upstream RPF) been solved by now?
>
> This is an orthogonal problem.  PI doesn't solve it either.

With PI (on both ends), there is only one combination of source and
destination IP address.  Which makes this quite easy - try this
combination, and if it works, it's the best possible option.  Sounds
"solved" to me.

(And in networks with special policy requirements, the policy can be
implemented on the network gear where it can be easily verified - and
one doesn't have to test this on all different OS stacks in use to
be sure it works everywhere).

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
did you enable IPv6 on something today...?

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279