I-D Action:draft-azinger-scalable-addressing-00.txt

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Tue Sep 28 22:57:48 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 09:48:17AM +1300, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> To be clear, the classical model for scalable PA-based multihoming in IPv6
> is and always was that a multihomed site would simultaneously operate a
> different PA prefix from each of its ISPs and each host would simultaneously
> have N addresses, one for each of those ISPs. Whether you like it or not,
> this works perfectly and allows complete aggregation.

I have serious doubt about the "works perfectly" part.

The idea is very nice, in theory (and I do like the shim6 approach).

Have the practical problems "how do I find the combination of source +
destination IP out of a set of N possible sources and M destination
addresses that works 'best' for me" (with locally varying metrics for
what is 'better' - latency, throughput, price, firewall policies,
upstream RPF) been solved by now?

(This is partly rhetorical question, and partly real curiosity: that always
seemed to me the hard part, and I really wonder whether I missed some
new developments here that would make this applicable for companies like
Petra's, with 5 uplinks, strong requirements for certain destinations to
be reached via a specific uplink, firewalls all over the place, etc.)

gert
--
did you enable IPv6 on something today...?

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279