I-D Action:draft-azinger-scalable-addressing-00.txt

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Tue Sep 28 21:57:22 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 09:35:40AM -0700, Cameron Byrne wrote:
> The problem statement is that lots PI is not great in the long run
> because it is expensive in the DFZ.  Instead of having the DFZ
> providers absorb the cost of ever growing RIB, the RIR should make PI
> uncomfortable for people that don't really need it that bad.

That's actually what we try in RIPE land - tack a heap of paperwork
to a PI network, and a yearly fee.  Not high enough to seriously impact
larger enterprises, but annoying enough to drive away "barbershop sized
businesses".

Which I think is a reasonable compromise - the DFZ can (quite likely)
handle "one prefix per large enterprise" (there's only so many of them),
but it won't be able to handle one prefix for each garage shop.

(So yes, we need other solutions for garage shops that want highly
reliable Internet connectivity)

[..]
> Today, i
> believe the RIRs are in a good place to do that.  Moreover, it is best
> for the RIR to decide how to do that.

Seconded.  But then, I'm obviously biased :-)

Gert Doering
        -- RIPE Address Policy WG Chair
--
did you enable IPv6 on something today...?

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279