I-D Action:draft-azinger-scalable-addressing-00.txt

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Tue Sep 28 00:03:44 CEST 2010

On 9/27/2010 2:36 PM, Fred Baker wrote:

> On Sep 27, 2010, at 2:24 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
>> So this is one more strong argument for IPv6 PI in as many places
>> as humanly possible.

>> Please note that I am not suggesting that this is a "fire and
>> forget" solution, I'm aware that even in IPv6-topia there will
>> still be renumbering due to organizational changes (e.g., mergers
>> and acquisitions) but we really should be focusing on IPv6 PI as
>> the answer, not as the problem.
>
> So you would very strongly prefer a world in which router memory
> sizes are required to be effectively infinite.

Easy there tiger, that's not at all what I said, and it's not even close
to what I think. Someone else already pointed out that where they have
2-4 IPv4 blocks advertised now, they could easily get by with just 1
IPv6 announcement. In my book that's making the routing table smaller,
not larger. :)

What I'm advocating is not blindly bloating the routing table ad
infinitum. What I'm suggesting is that we look at the whole chess board.

Doug

			-- Propellerheads