Quoting RFC2860 [Re: I-D Action:draft-azinger-scalable-addressing-00.txt]

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Sep 27 22:30:45 CEST 2010

On 9/27/2010 10:16 AM, Tony Li wrote:

> This almost works for me.  Instead I would say that single-homed
> entities get PA and mildly multi-homed get PA and grossly multi-homed
> get PI.

How do you define "mildly?"

I think the "best" answer is obvious, find a magic solution to the
routing table problem, and give everyone PI. Since that's not likely to
happen, we need to figure out a way to give as many people PI as possible.

BTW, "the issue" with PI is not just multi-homing, it's also
portability. In my conversations with folks about this (going all the
way back to when I was at ICANN and talking to serious people about how
to get IPv6 deployed sooner), enterprises that have PI IPv4 now won't
even consider IPv6 without PI.

Doug

			-- Propellerheads