I-D Action:draft-azinger-scalable-addressing-00.txt

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Mon Sep 27 15:52:05 CEST 2010

On Sep 27, 2010, at 1:14 AM, S.P.Zeidler wrote:

>> That particular model has a down side, in that to make the checksums work end to end we update the prefix or the EID, which makes session switchover less seamless. But it requires no change to the host.
>
> Switchover in case of link failure will be 'traumatic' since the outside
> prefix changes. That's always annoying but not necessarily a big issue.
> Switchover from one router/firewall to the other should not change the
> translation seen if the implementation of the prefix translator is the same,
> right?

Switchover Can result in a loss of the sessions going through the lost ISP. If there are two translators on that ISP, the loss of one doesn't have that effect, but the loss of the last translator forces the *other* guy to send to a new prefix, and he won't have signaling to know it. But yes, the guy being translated to won't see a difference.